What price is your health? Joining a fitness club? Jogging along city sidewalks? Or perhaps something with vastly more benefits, like packing up your gear and spending time with nature?
For visitors to Caliper Lake, near Lake of the Woods in northwestern Ontario, the journey, or pilgrimage for some, is worth its weight in gold. For as experts tell us nowadays, nature is the new aspirin.
Visitors come from as far south as Minnesota, as west as Manitoba and as north as Sioux Lookout to enjoy the spectacular sunsets, the northern lights, mouth-watering fish fries of Pike, Bass and Walleye or exceptional birding and wildlife viewing.
Ontario’s north has a magic all of its own and Caliper Lake has everything you need for a spectacular does of “serenity now.” Dominated by clayey sand tills, the park features mature red and white pine that you can slowly meander through for a relaxing walk or meditation.
Caliper Lake is a very peaceful place and the perfect setting to relax and immerse yourself in nature. You can walk along the winding campground road or hike along the beaver pond trail for a truly spectacular glimpse of the unspoiled natural beauty of northwestern Ontario.
For day use or overnight visitors, one of the most popular features of the park is the large day-use area and family-friendly, shallow swimming area, which features a boat launch as well as kayak and canoe rentals.
Fast facts about Caliper Lake
- 83 campsites, 29 electrical, some waterfront
- Comfort stations and flush toilets
- Day use area for swimming, picnicking, games and taking a snooze
- Barrier free access
- Fishing – Northern Pike, Walleye, Crappie and Smallmouth Bass
- Warm, shallow water and floating swimming platform
- Playground so kids can burn off some energy
- Biking (with helmets; it’s the law for those 18 and under)
- Birding (spot nesting pelicans or barred owls)
- Boat launch, kayak and canoe rentals for paddling around the lake
- Two hiking trails (1.5 km and a 2.7 km loop), one of which leads to a beaver pond – great for the kids; possible deer sightings
- Park store
- Picnic shelter for inclement weather
For those who like to explore the local surroundings, nearby Nestor Falls and Sioux Narrows have plenty of summer entertainment activities the whole family can enjoy, including the annual August long weekend pig roast, weekly coffee houses, live theatre and the first-ever Moose n’ Fiddle Show.
Enjoy your visit to Caliper Lake!